Welcome to Year 4!!!
We have an exciting year ahead of us in Year 4. This page is the place to see and read about all the fantastic experiences we will share over the next three terms. Below is some information that will help your child to make the most of all the opportunities provided throughout their Year 4 journey.
- Children will be given spelling to learn every Friday, with tests taking place the following Friday.
- Children will be provided with a Bug Club reading book and Reading Record. As part of their homework, children are asked to read three times. Reading Records will be checked on Fridays and children with three signatures from home will receive a reward. Children can also access Bug Club online to read and complete comprehensions.
- TTRockstars has been a great success in school and children are encouraged to access this at home to help to hone their times tables skills. This is especially important for Year 4 children with the upcoming nation Multiplication Tables Check.
- Purple Mash and Mathletics are also available to access at home.
- Children will need PE kit on a Thursday and swimming kit on a Monday. Swimming kit should consist of a towel, swimming costume/trunks/shorts (no longer than knee length) and googles if possible.
Year 4 recently visited the Royal Armouries in Leeds to learn more about the Anglo Saxons. As archaeologists, we dug for artifacts and discovered what linked each item to the Anglo Saxons. We learned more about Beowulf, and even acted out some of the scenes from the story. we also spent time exploring the other exciting exhibits and learning about battles through the ages.
Safer Internet Day...
As part of our work for Safer Internet Day, children in Year 4 created fake social media profiles to demonstrate how easy in is for people to be deceptive online. We discussed how to stay safe when using the internet and how to be careful when choosing who to contact online.
This half-term, Year 4 will be working on animation during their ICT lessons. During our first lesson, we had a go at creating some simple animations using Purple Mash. We created backgrounds and then added foreground images that changed slightly on each frame, giving the impression of movement. Here is an example of some of our work...
As part of our Bellissima topic, Year 4 have been making traditional Italian pasta. We used flour (la farina) and water (l'aqua) to make a dough, before rolling the dough through a pasta machine and cutting and shaping the pasta sheets. It was deliziosa!
Year 4 Song Writers!!
Year 4 have begun writing their own songs. We begun by using the chords we have learned in our ukelele lessons ( C, Am, F, G ) and arranged them into our own unique chord progressions. In the next few weeks, we will add melody, lyrics and other instruments until we have a completed song.
As part of our focus on perimeter, we have been measuring large shapes in the hall using a variety of measuring equipment. We use trundle wheels, tape measures, metre sticks and rulers to accurately measure the perimeters of a range of rectilinear shapes. After measuring each side of a shape, we then investigated a range of methods for calculating the total perimeter and evaluated each other's methods to find the most efficient.
After studying Pablo Picasso's Femme au béret et à la robe quadrillée, Year 4 have been creating their own abstract, textured portraits. The children have used coloured card, shiny paper, felt tips and pencils, as well as a great deal of imagination and serendipity, to create strange, abstract patterns to represent a person's face. Below are some picture of our work so far.
As part of our Alexander Fleming topic work, Year 4 have been investigating the conditions in which mould likes to grow. We used pieces of bread, kept under different conditions, to attempt to find which environment would encourage mould to thrive. Below is a selection photos of our investigation and of our work.
Visit to Ewden Water Treatment Works
On Thursday 26th September, Year 4 visited Ewden Water Treatment Works in Sheffield. We learned all about the water cycle, how our water is cleaned, and what happens to water once it leaves the plant. We are now Water Cycle Experts! Below is a slide show of our exciting day...