Intent - Why is Physical Education and Sport important for our children?
Shay Lane Primary School believes that PE and sport experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is a vital and unique contributor to a child’s well-being, academic achievement and physical and emotional development. Our curriculum drivers are at the centre of our children’s experiences. PE and sport promote these important morals allowing children to take them along their life long journey.
As athletes at Shay Lane, children are provided with the opportunity to be creative, competitive and face different challenges as individuals and in groups and teams. Imperative to PE and sport, children learn the fundamental motor skills that enable them to develop the competence that creates confidence and leads to safe and successful participation in a wide range of sports. All lessons and sporting situations that children participate in help to promote positive attitudes towards a healthy and active lifestyle highlighting that regular, physical activity is the best antidote to eliminate obesity and maintain an acceptable body weight. It also provides a positive alternative to watching television or playing on tablets, computers or mobile phones.
At Shay Lane, children will also develop their knowledge in concepts of fairness, tolerance and responsibilities as they take on different roles such as leadership, officiating and coaching. All children, irrespective of their ability, can enjoy competition, success and develop their individual potential.
- We promote participation for all children, in many different physical and sporting activities.
- We support our children to play to the spirit of the game and learn the value in being a good sports person.
- We provide opportunities to develop moral, spiritual, social and cultural development.
- We promote physical activity as an important part of a healthy life style.
- We want all children to enjoy and succeed in physical activity and sport.
Implement - What will our children learn?
With regards to PE, Shay Lane currently work in partnership with WSSN, who offer a comprehensive PE system. Through this partnership and following GET SET 4 P.E scheme we have established a comprehensive curriculum which gives children the best opportunities to develop their skills in a range of sports. Teachers use this system to support them in their planning, delivery and assessment of PE lessons to ensure that all lessons are of an extremely high quality.
Children at Shay Lane participate in at least two hours of high-quality PE and sporting activities per week. Our PE programme incorporates a variety of sports to ensure all children develop the confidence, tolerance and the appreciation of their own and others’ strengths and weaknesses. Children in year 4 currently go swimming at Featherstone swimming pool and work towards achieving three specific swimming targets.
Along with two hours of weekly PE, we provide opportunities for all children to engage in sporting extra-curricular activities after school.
In addition to our extra-curricular programme, we compete in intra-house events and numerous inter school competitive sporting events against many local schools. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also well-being.
Impact - How will it help our children?
At Shay Lane, our PE curriculum aims to improve the wellbeing and fitness of all children in school, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes. Within our lessons, children are taught about self-discipline and that to be successful, they need to take ownership and responsibility of their own health and fitness. Therefore, our impact is to motivate children to utilise these skills in an independent and effective way in order to live happy and healthy lives.
Acquisition of language
· Accurate use of language in PE.
· Opportunities to collaborate through class and group discussion.
· Children learn to talk about physical education, expressing their likes and dislikes.
Celebrating Differences and Diversity
· Children are shown how to respectfully treat others.
· Children learn to collaborate with each other and work as a team.
· Children are aware of sports stars from different cultures, ethnic background and genders.
Community and Social Justice
· All children are given the opportunity to represent Shay Lane Primary school at local sporting events.
· We work alongside Outwood’s school games organiser and follow the school games pathway.
· We have links with a range of sports clubs within the area.
· Children are given the opportunity to take part in extracurricular events.
· Children take part in a variety of different sports using a wide range of different equipment.
· Children have the opportunity to become sports leaders.
Happiness and Wellbeing
· Assemblies are used to celebrate children’s achievements.
· Children find taking part in sports activities to be enjoyable.
· Physical education can develop a growth mind set and resilience.
· Children are encouraged to practice skills, evaluate their performance and always try their best.
· Children learn about both physical and mental wellbeing.
· Areas of the PSHE curriculum are taught alongside our PE offer.
Year 6 "PE is fun and we learn about team work and completing challenges." " We keep fit by doing different sports and exercise."
Year 5 "I love PE because we have learnt about the world of dance!" "We always do mini competitions and I enjoy being part of a team."
Year 4 "I like running and playing football as well as other invasion games." "I enjoy dance and tennis."
Year 3 "PE is really important because it helps us to keep healthy." "I enjoy PE because we learn new games and sports and we sometimes play in competitions."
Year 2 "I like movement and dance when we were like lions and tigers." PE is about playing games and keeping healthy."
Year 1 "I like going outside to play games with balls."
Wakefield Junior Triathlon Club | Wakefield Junior Triathlon Club